You can add an extra layer of security by enabling 2-Step Verification. 2-Step Verification requires you to have access to your phone, as well as your username and password, when you sign in to your Google Account. By using two-factor authentication with something you know (your password) and something you have (your phone), people can’t sign in to your Google Account by trying to steal or guess your password.
To set up a two-step verification for your Gmail, follow the steps below:
- Login to your Gmail account and click on your email or profile image at the top right corner of your Gmail window, and then click on “My Account”.
- Go to the “Sign-in & Security” section and click on “Signing in to Google”.
- You’ll be redirected to another page. Locate “2-Step Verification” under “Password & sign-in method” to see whether it’s “On” or “Off”. If it’s “Off,” which of course it is if you didn’t set it up already, click on it to set it up.
- On the next page, click on “Start setup” button. You’ll be redirected to a login page to sign in again.
- Enter your password and click on the “Sign in” button. You’ll be redirected to a page to set up your phone.
- Select your country and then input your phone number. You can also choose “Text message (SMS)” or “Voice Call” as the verification means. Next, click on “Send code” button to verify the phone number.
- Enter the verification code sent to the phone number you provided in the text field provided. Click verify button.
- The next page will ask you whether you want to trust the computer where you’re setting up the two-step verification or not. If you would like to trust the computer, check the box on the left side of the bolded text reading “Trust this computer” and then click on the “Next” button.
- You’ll be taken to a page where you can add another backup phone number or change your primary phone number. You’re also advised to scroll down to “Backup codes” section to save codes for use in case you lose your phone and you need to sign in to your Gmail. To back the codes up, click on “Print or download” button. Keep the codes safely.